Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's day to Frank


It is Sunday the 17th here in VN.
We arrived midday on Saturday the 16th and forced ourselves to stay awake.
So today we are not feeling all that jet lagged.
Thank goodness because today we are parents! We brought Frances home this morning and have been laying low in our hotel room getting to know our daughter.
I am so happy and sad all at the same time. She was definitely attached to her caregivers from the orphanage. Though she has stopped crying, (napping right now) she still takes these great big upset breaths. I hate that this is causing her pain and grief.

She is beautiful. She is amazing. You should see these big eyes in person! I will treasure this time here in Vietnam, but look forward to the time when she is securely attached to our family and trusts that she is loved and will be well taken care of.

Our hotel is old and beautiful. I love 1920's architecture. The Majestic was built in 1925 and has loads of charm, full of art deco moldings and fixtures. I have never been in such a beautiful hotel. I am glad we splurged on this part of the trip. I have been feeling much culture shock and I need to be comfortable in our room. We have enjoyed eating at the outdoor restaurant on the fifth floor. It is really a great view where you can watch the traffic flow below.

-Wow, If you could see the traffic. Everyone rides scooters and man can these folks drive. You should see the intersections were two streets cross. No lights, they all just...merge at once. It looks orchestrated! Instead of blinkers, they beep horns. I wish I could explain it. Just imagine the busiest intersection in your city. Now take away the traffic lights. The only rule is that you yield to anyone bigger than you. Okay, got that? Now take away the cars, trucks and buses. Instead place these drivers and passengers on ONE scooter. Family of 4 you say? Yes, a family of four and more fits on ONE scooter. Okay, got that? Now let's say that you and your family need to cross this medley... guess what you do? Just start slowly and methodically walking out into the street together in a line. Crazy stuff.


Tomorrow is the Giving and Receiving ceremony. We will keep you all updated.
Thank you all for your well wishes and support, it helps! My stomach is in knots from all the stress and worry. I will ask Frank to post a picture.

13 comments:

Katie said...

I am so happy that you and F are settling in ok with Miss Frances... YOU DO IT!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY FRANK :)

So, the rest of the gang are hot on your heels... M&M, Joe&I, D&Jon.

Have fun, be safe, and behave (yeah right!)

Katie said...

I meant YOU DID IT!

mam said...

so glad you're able to give us updates; you're our trailblazer and these are so helpful! I CAN'T WAIT to meet your big-eyed beauty.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Frank and Crystal! I can't wait to see pictures!!!
Happy, Happy Father's Day.
Kara

Julie said...

I am so thrilled for you! It FINALLY happened!! I hope Frances continues to have a fairly smooth transition into her new family. I can't wait to see a few pictures of her in your arms. Thanks for all your updates.

Happy Father's Day!!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Cristal and Frank -
WoooooHooooo! I am glad to hear that you arrived and have met your cutie patootie daughter. Just remember little ones are way more resilliant than we older people... She may even adjust before you do!Enjoy the adventure, take tons of pics and keep updating us. Glad you are enjoying your digs. We here at the lab today are all thinking of you! Happy dad's day to all 3 of you!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh how u make me tear up!! I am sooo happy for you ALL. I know that your time and effort will make Frances feel so safe and special and loved. I can't say enough congrats! I hope y'all have the greatest 'vay-cay'EVER. Just think...this is the first Father's day of the rest of your lives.:) Take care and bring her home SOON, I've gotta get to work on influencing her the way u did Anjelica (Krissy-poo):) Be safe, see ya soon.
Em

Anonymous said...

what wonderful news. happy fathers day frank. we have all been waiting to hear the news and so glad you are there and can bring your little girl frances home. cant wait to see her and hold her. take care bring home lots of pictures. love reading your blog.
cindy

Colleen said...

Bunny! I am so freakin' excited for you guys! I have been thinking about you every day and wondering where you are and what you're doing. So glad you got to borrow the computer to keep us posted.

Love you and can't wait to see you when you get home!!!

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend. i have been thinking abot you all week. I am so glad to hear you have that precious baby with you now. She will adjust and be fine. I love you guys. See you soon.

Sue and Chris said...

Congratulations. You are experiencing the same thing every new parent has experienced. No matter the age. She will adjust soon and is so lucky to have you as her parents.

stollmyheart said...

Congrats and Happy Father's Day! I'm so excited for you guys! Good luck with the G&R tomorrow (today, your time)! Can't wait to see some pics!

mam said...

Oh, thanks for adding the pictures -- Crystal, I can tell you were crying in that first one. How sweet...you'll always remember how overjoyed you were to meet her, and you'll be able to share that with her when she's old enough too.

She Stands!

She Stands!
Same dress, New picture May 1st 2007